HANDGUN PURCHASE PERMITS
- Handgun purchase permits applications can be submitted to the Yancey County Sheriff’s Office anytime.
- Please bring a valid picture identification (NC Drivers License or valid NC picture identification card).
- Please answer all questions as accurately as possible.
- Please allow up to 7 or 10 working days for background check.
- Handgun Purchase Permits are $5.00 cash for each permit. Limit of 1 permit per application(One per gun) and 5 per year.
Criteria of Issuance For A Concealed Handgun Permit:
- An applicant must be a citizen of the US.
- An applicant must be a resident of Yancey County and a resident of NC for 30 days prior to the application being filed.
- An applicant must be at least 21 years of age.
- An applicant must not suffer from any physical or mental weakness that prevents the safe handling of a handgun.
- An applicant must have successfully completed an approved firearms safety and training course.
PROCESS FOR NEW CONCEALED CARRY PERMIT
- Once you have obtained a Gun Safety Course Certificate call the Yancey County Sheriff’s Office to make an appointment (828)682-2124.
- You must have your Gun Safety Course Certificate with you the day you come in and apply.
- The day you apply please allow 45 minutes for fingerprinting and application process.
- Please bring valid driver’s license or picture identification.
- When you arrive at your appointment you will fill out the Physical and Mental Health Release Form (which authorizes the disclosure to the sheriff of any record concerning the physical and mental health of the applicant).
- Please allow 3-6 weeks to process new concealed carry permits
RENEWAL OF PERMIT TO CARRY CONCEALED HANDGUNS
- Call the Yancey County Sheriff’s Office approximately 6 weeks before expiration date which appears on your card to get an appointment (828)682-2124.