The Yancey County Sheriff’s Office, like all other sheriff’s offices in North Carolina, is responsible for maintaining the safety and security of the courts and courthouse. The Court Division is comprised of two (2) sworn Deputies. One of the major functions of the Court Division is to operate our metal detector while the courthouse is open to the public. In addition, the Court Division Staff is responsible for the safety of Judges and the safety, control and movement of jurors during jury trials.
If you have any questions regarding the Court Security Division contact Court Security at (828)682-1808.
If your question is regarding court schedules or court dates please contact the Yancey County Clerk of Superior Court at (828)678-5700. Also, you can find this information on the web at the North Carolina Administrative Office of the Courts web page.
What is not allowed in the Yancey County Court House?
These items include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Gun, Ammunition, Knives, Toy Guns, Razor Blades, Scissors, Powders, Liquids, Aerosol Spray Cans, Pepper Spray, Mace
- Glass Items
- Tools, Nails or Screws Etc.
- Cameras (Unless prior approval by judge), Radios, Tape Recorders
- Rolled Coins, Handcuff Keys, Pad Locks, Heavy Chain Items, Heavy Metallic Belts, Knitting Needles, Corkscrews
- No cell phone of any kind are allowed at any time in a courtroom or jury deliberation room and no photographs of any kind may be taken in the courthouse (Unless prior approval by judge),
- No Large bags or backpacks allowed. We encourage women not to bring their Pocket book in. They are allowed but they will be searched and you may be asked to dump all the contents of your pocket book out.
Any other items that Court Security Department (C.S.D.) members feel will compromise the security or integrity of courthouse and courtroom proceedings